Translate

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day


Good morning!!!

I've searched all over the internet this morning looking for the picture that said exactly what I'd like to say this morning...unfortunately, I'm too wordy and of course couldn't find one.  So, I'll just write a longggg post and say what I want. LOL


Father’s Day is very special to me because I had a very special father!!!  Dad had three children, then adopted 3 more, and then....because he took being a father so seriously...he took on five more foster children.  Now of course my Mother played an integral part in that, but nonetheless, he took his role in our lives to heart.

My Dad had a special knack of making each of us think we were his favorites.  Although he constantly stated he had no favorites, we were all pretty certain we were the one.  He’s been gone nearly a decade and I’d bet money that if my siblings and myself ever had a real conversation about who his favorite was, we’d probably argue. LOL 

He taught me to love, laugh, and engage in critical thinking.  I can remember many times throughout my life, I’d walk in the house and he’d be sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee.  Mom would be scurrying around doing one chore or another, and he’d be sitting quietly by himself.  When I’d ask what he was doing, he’d say, “Just mulling things over, honey.”  And then quick as a whip, he’d be all smiles and conversation.

Here are some wise words from my Father I’d like to share with you:

1.  Always check the oil in your car.  If you do it twice a week it’s not too much.  (I didn’t listen and had two different engines seize up before I turned 20.)

2.  If you meet a man in a bar, leave him there.

3.  A young man that doesn’t want to meet your family can’t have any good intentions.

4.  Never set yourself up for failure.  If you’re making a house payment that’s more than a quarter of your monthly income, you’ll end up doing without necessities.

5.  If someone won’t love you the way you are, they don’t love you period.  Why would you want someone that doesn’t love you to start with?

6.  Remember everything you did as a teenager and then expect your children will do worse.  Then try like the blazes to keep them from doing it!

7.  Your children don’t need friends, they need parents.  They have tons of friends, but only two parents.

There are many many more, but you get the gist.  I’m very thankful to have grown up in a home with a Dad like mine.  I know many are not that lucky.  I’m also thankful to know that there are many Dads out there who take their role in their children’s lives just a seriously!!!
Happy Father’s Day!!!!


1 comment:

  1. I could list a thousand more words of advice he could give and every one of them have proven to be the best advice I ever got. I miss the hugs and "honey babes" and patience he had with me!!! What a wonderful Father I have!!! I haven't lost him!! I know right where he is!!!!

    ReplyDelete